This is my journal documenting an ongoing creative endeavor sustained by a single underlying current with 100 momentary breaks, each indicated by an individual porcelain cup which reveals both continuity and uniqueness in the way the pot is thrown, the handle is pulled and wrapped,
and the form is carved and sculpted. Each piece is photographed in its raw
porcelain clay state before being fired or glazed. If you would like to follow the progression from Cup #1, scroll down and click "Older Posts" or begin at the Blog Archive "2010", "March".

Visit my public archive forum on facebook: Julia Munn Livingston Pottery Archive.

The 100 Cups collection is available for exhibition.



Monday, March 22, 2010

Cup #10

A sudden shift!....the handle vine loops and turns into a large tightly clinging leaf that wraps and fuses into the cup....Base pattern relates to the movement in the pattern of the leaf.... small leaf drapes over handle and makes a resting place...

4 comments:

  1. Miss Julia,
    I know this isn't one of your favorite cups, but I find myself drawn to it again and again. I especially like the small leaf resting on the top of the handle so delicately, which is in such contrast to the large leaf that has engulfed the entire body of the cup. It makes me think of someone accidentally leaving their cup in a garden, and how nature would quietly, but firmly claim it as her own. Very powerful, yet sublime...

    Gini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gini...This cup has also grown on me with time especially in relationship to the other cups. At first I felt that the leaf was too overpowering. I love the poetry in your description of nature's quiet but firm claim in the garden and that helps me understand this little cup in a new way...thanks...Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia -
    Thanks for sharing your blog with the class. This cup is stunning. Drinking from it would be in partnership with all of nature. What a bounty.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete