This is my journal documenting an ongoing creative endeavor sustained by a single underlying current with 100 momentary breaks, each indicated by an individual porcelain cup which reveals both continuity and uniqueness in the way the pot is thrown, the handle is pulled and wrapped,
and the form is carved and sculpted. Each piece is photographed in its raw
porcelain clay state before being fired or glazed. If you would like to follow the progression from Cup #1, scroll down and click "Older Posts" or begin at the Blog Archive "2010", "March".

Visit my public archive forum on facebook: Julia Munn Livingston Pottery Archive.

The 100 Cups collection is available for exhibition.



Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cup #49

The handle vine becomes more fluid as I trust my fingers to find their way around the soft clay...
The first cup after my return from 3 1/2 months on Manitoulin Island.

4 comments:

  1. more fluid indeed....how did you do that? were you endowed with secret potter powers while you were gone? i loooooooooooooove this cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gini...yes, I must give some credit for increased potter power to artist David Migwans who taught a pottery class I took on Manitoulin Island this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cup says that much has happened since you were last working on this project. It's proof that what you are creating is in this moment, flowing out of who you are now, not some static pre-determined design .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah, Thanks for noticing. You are right. I don't plan the designs ahead of time. I sit down and work in the moment and try to work from a trusting place in myself...Julia

    ReplyDelete